The Systems Specialist is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual:
- Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, and partners.
- Accountable for the following systems: Linux and Windows systems that support CIIS infrastructure; Linux, Windows, VMWare and Application systems that support external and internal customers.
- Responsibilities on these systems include—SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
SA Engineering and Provisioning
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Installs new/rebuilds existing servers and configures hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Installs and configures systems such as supports CIIS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications
- Develops and maintains installation and configuration procedures.
- Contributes to and maintains system standards.
- Researches and recommends innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks; identifies approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support
- Performs daily system monitoring, verifies the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviews system and application logs, and verifies completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Performs regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Performs daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Windows Active Directory configurations and modifications.
- Creates, changes, and deletes user accounts per request.
- Provides support per request from various constituencies; investigates and troubleshoots issues.
- Repairs and recovers from hardware or software failures; coordinates and communicates with impacted constituencies.
- Applies OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrades administrative tools and utilities; configures /adds new services as necessary.
- Upgrades and configures system software that supports CIIS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintains operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Performs periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Performs ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required; configures CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintains data center environmental and monitoring equipment
- Deals with a variety of problems and sometimes needs to decide which answer is best. The questions/issues are typically clear and requires determination of which answer (from a few choices) is the best
- Decisions normally have a noticeable effect department-wide and company-wide and judgment errors can typically require one to two weeks to correct or reverse
- Interprets and/or discusses information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provides advice and recommends actions involving rather complex issues; resolves problems within established practices
- Provides occasional guidance, some of which is technical
PLEASE NOTE: This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of the position described above. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change duties at any time.
Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
This position often requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, twisting, reaching with hands and arms, using hands and fingers, handling, or feeling, speaking, listening, and high-level cognitive thinking. Also, must be able to lift up to 10 pounds occasionally. The position requires the ability to travel (~75% of time), drive a vehicle, and utilize other forms of transportation. May require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.